Swedish Cardamom Cake
by Maria on March 25, 2014
There is nothing like the smell of a cardamom cake baking in the oven. It fills the whole house up with such a pleasant aroma that you are forced to pause for a moment and savor the goodness that can be. This cake is best enjoyed with some freshly brewed coffee and good company. This is a true Swedish “fika.”
Fika, in case you are wondering, is part of the everyday culture in Sweden. It means taking a break to enjoy a cup of coffee (or tea or juice) with one’s friends, family, or co-workers. It is traditionally accompanied by something sweet or a sandwich.
For the best aroma and flavor buy whole cardamom pods and grind the seeds yourself. I usually use a mortar and pestle but you could also use an electric spice grinder. (Be sure to grind up only the seeds and not the pods too.) Grinding your own cardamom takes a little extra time and effort, but the end result is well worth it. Of course, I usually have some ground cardamom in my pantry too and will use that if in a hurry. Pre-ground cardamom will still yield an amazing cake, as long as the cardamom is not too old. Ground cardamom has a short shelf life.
Swedish Cardamom Cake
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1-2 tablespoons ground cardamom depending on preference*
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons pearl sugar(optional)
*1 tablespoon probably enough cardamom for most
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease an 8-9 inch loaf pan or 9-inch round cake pan with butter and then coat with flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cardamom.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric whisk until fluffy, for about 2 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and then add the milk. Let the whole mixture come to a simmer and then remove from heat and quickly stir it into the egg-sugar mixture. Fold in the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the pre-greased pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with pearl sugar (optional).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden on top and releasing from edges.
Leave a Reply